8 de julio de 2009

Lengua Extranjera - 2º A Pol. Humanidades - Prof: Ercilia Bellusci
Alumno/a:..............................
(Fecha de entrega: durante el receso por este medio o en la primera semana de agosto’09)
____________________________________________________________________

Follow the instructions (points A to F) and complete the task

CHOCOLATE


Reading

1
I know that I have a problem – a big problem. It may sound funny but it’s very bad for me – for my health and for my life. What’s the problem? I can’t stop eating chocolate!
2
I started eating chocolate as a child of course; me and my sisters all ate a lot of different kinds of chocolate. However, my sisters and I are adults now and I’m the only one who still eats it a lot. My elder sister can have a bar of Toblerone and make it last a week. My younger sister is happy with one box of chocolates a year for Mother’s Day. My parents don’t eat any chocolate at all. Me – I need it every day, and lots of it too.
3
So, how much do I eat? Well, I have about 10 bars of chocolate a day. My first bar is at 8 o’clock in the morning, and then I have my last one just before I go to bed. Sometimes if there’s no chocolate in the house I drive to the nearest shop that sells it (about 2 kilometres away) and buy some more. I even drive out late at night if I need some chocolate. If the children (and this is terrible, I know) have chocolate in the house I take it. When Sarah was eight someone gave her a box of chocolates for her birthday. I took the box and then, when she was out playing, I ate some. Then I ate some more. I finished the whole box! A few days later she said, “Where’s my box of chocolates?” and I said, “I don’t know”. I know that was very bad. At Christmas we got a giant family-sized bag of chocolate sweets, I ate the whole bag on my own in two days!
4
I know eating a lot of chocolate is bad for my health. There’s a lot of sugar in all types of chocolate. There’s also a lot of fat. I think that’s why I have many spots on my face, and I’m a little overweight too. Sometimes I try to stop but if I don’t have any, I get very bad headaches. However, as soon as I have some chocolate I feel better and happier too. I know that it’s also very bad to take and eat chocolate that’s not mine but I can’t stop myself.
5
What can I do? Even at night I dream about chocolate. My favourite dream is falling down a hole and landing on a big pile of chocolate bars! I really do want to stop, or start to eat less. At the supermarket there’s always chocolate for sale while I wait to pay for my shopping. At the station (bus, train, underground…) there’s always chocolate for sale in machines. Everywhere I look there’s chocolate for sale! I try to speak to my family but nobody understands. They all like chocolate but nobody wants to eat 10 bars a day, and nobody understands why I do.
6
I need help! Please tell me what I can do to stop eating chocolate!
Cheryl


Reading tasks

A - Answer these questions about chocolate

a Do you like chocolate cake? Chocolate ice-cream? Chocolate bars? Hot chocolate drinks?
b How much chocolate do you have every week?
c Do you eat more chocolate now than when you were a child, or less?
d Do you think it’s bad that some children eat a lot of chocolate?

B - Circle the correct answer. Cheryl is a woman addicted to chocolate. Who is she writing to?

a Her mother
b A newspaper
c A magazine problem page
d A company that makes chocolate


C - Read the text again and write the number of the paragraph each summary belongs to (1 to 6)

Summary
a Cheryl is the only one addicted to chocolate in her family
b Why Cheryl’s addiction is a problem
c Cheryl wants help
d The description of the addiction
e An introduction to the problem
f Why the addiction is difficult to stop


D - Are the following sentences True or False?

1 Cheryl is the middle child in her family
2 She is a mother
3 Sarah is one of her sisters
4 Cheryl feels ill if she stops eating chocolate
5 She feels both good and bad after eating chocolate
6 It’s very easy to buy chocolate
7 Her family don’t give her any help

E - Find the words in the text that match these definitions

1 The state of being well in body or mind. Person’s mental or physical condition.............................
2 Of greater age, older……………………………
3 The full quantity, amount, number, etc. Entire, full or total…………………………………
4 Small marks or lesions on the skin or other surface…………………………
5 Weighing too much or more than is considered normal……………………………..
6 The act of selling…………………


Post-reading task

F - Help Cheryl !!! Write a letter back to her.

Dear Cheryl,
Here are some ideas to help you with your problem. First...............